How Much Is The 1961 Half Dollar Worth? (ANSWERED)

Last Updated on March 30, 2022

The 1961 half dollar is also known as the 1961 Franklin half dollar coin, which is made mainly of silver. This is why the 1961 half dollar value is much higher than your standard coins, particularly once you factor in the numismatic value.

Not to mention that the value of the 196 Franklin half dollar is also tied with the value of silver, which also contributes to its high worth. Keep on reading to find out more about the 1961 half dollar value.


How Much Is The 1961 Half Dollar Worth?

As mentioned before, the worth of the 1961 franklin half dollar is tied with silver as it has silver in its composition. This means that the base worth, rather the minimum value of this particular coin, will always be equivalent to the value of silver in accordance with its weight.

The half dollar without the mint mark in very fine condition is worth around $10. Uncirculated coins that have a good grade can be sold for around $50. So it isn’t as valuable as many other coins out there but if you think about it even at $10 you are getting more than its face value.

1961 P Franklin Half Dollar Brilliant Uncirculated


Now that we have the base value down within the 1961 half dollar value, we can now factor in the condition of the coin, which can further drive up the worth of the coin. So, the 1961 Franklin half dollar that is considered to be in extremely fine condition will have a value of around 11 dollars.

This is higher than the value of this coin if the coin had no mintmark. With the absence of a mintmark, the coin will have a value of around 10 dollars. Apart from that, if the 1961 Franklin half dollar is of uncirculated condition and within the MS 60 grade, then the worth can increase to around 14 dollars.

However, it doesn’t just stop there. The 1961 half dollar value can even go up to around 50 dollars if it is in uncirculated condition and within the MS 65 grade.

1961 D Half Dollar Series

As with all coins, the 1961 Franklin half dollar also has several series, one of which is the 1961 D series. The coins within this series are valued at around 11 dollars if their condition is considered to be extremely fine.

That is not all; the value goes higher to 14 dollars if the coin is in uncirculated condition. The great thing about this series is that the value can go all the way around 100 dollars, that is, if the coin falls within the MS 65 grade in uncirculated condition.

1961 D Franklin Half Dollar Brilliant Uncirculated

Proof Coins

The 1961 Franklin half dollar coins are also minted as proof coins, which are innately much more valuable than any other series for any coin. For the 1961 half dollar coin, if the coin comes without a mintmark and the coin is categorized within the PR 65 condition, then its value can be anywhere around 25 dollars.

For this particular coin, a total of 3,028,244 coins were minted within this series. That is not all; the proof coins printed for the 1961 Franklin half dollar coin are particularly unique as there was an error known as the doubled die error.

A 1961 Franklin half dollar with the proof error that has been categorized within the PR 65 condition has an incredibly high worth, which can go up to around 3,500 dollars.

Is The 1961 Franklin Half Dollar Made Of Silver?

While the 1961 Franklin half dollar is composed of silver, this precious metal does not account for a hundred percent of its composition. The 1961 half dollar coin is, in fact, made of a mixture of silver and copper, where 90% of the composition is of silver and the remaining 10% of the composition is of copper. To be more precise, this coin has 0.36169 oz of silver in its total weight.

Where Is The Mint Mark On The 1961 Half Dollar Coin?

The mint mark on the 1961 half dollar coin can be found on the tail side of the coin, that is, the side with the liberty bell. The mint mark is inscribed right below the yoke of the Liberty Bell.

Jackie Palmer is a Houston-based coin journalist and fashion enthusiast. She joined Jewels Advisor’s content team after years of experience as a content strategist, managing blogs and social channels for local stores. Jackie mostly collects and studies US coins produced during the 20th century and over the years, published hundreds of articles for multiple coin publications.