What Does 750 Mean on Jewelry?

Last Updated on December 29, 2023

What Does 750 Mean on Jewelry?

Gold is one of the most precious metals to be found on planet earth. The reason for this is that gold is not only extremely rare, but also because it does not corrode. This means that the pieces of jewelry made with gold are more valuable than those made with silver or platinum.

In the old days Gold was used as a form of currency. To this day people invest in gold. This is because it is a great investment and can yield great results.


What Does 750 Mean On Jewelry?

If you have every owned or bought a gold jewelry you might see different numbers embossed or engraved on them.

These numbers are the representation of the purity of the gold.

If your gold jewelry has 750 written on it then it mean that it is 18 Karat gold. In short it means that there are impurities in the gold.

18 karat is 75% pure. So it means that the jewelry item you have has 75% pure gold while the remaining 25% is other metal.

What Is the Highest Purity Level of Gold?

The purest and the most expensive form of gold is 24 Karat. It is 99.99% pure gold. You can find jewelry of almost all types of gold whether it is 24 Karat, 18 Karat or 14 Karat. All of the other forms of gold have their own unique number embossed on the jewelry for example 417 represents 10 karat purity level where as 14 Karat will have 585 written on it.

750 is the karat weight of gold. Gold’s purity is measured in karats, and 24 karats would be pure gold (100% pure). Jewelry with a 750 stamp will contain an alloy that can include silver, copper, zinc or nickel; this mix varies depending on the metal content desired by the manufacturer.

So when you are heading out to purchase gold jewelry it is very important that you know these numbers. So the shop keeper does not scam you. It is also important to know that the higher the karat number the purer and more expensive the gold jewelry will be. Not everyone has a gold tester with them at all times, these engravings can be a great way to identify if the gold jewelry is real or not.

I Have Jewelry Item with 750 written On It – Does This Mean It Is Not Gold?

One thing of significance is that the real golden jewelry will always have these engravings on them. Not having these engravings should be a sign of concern when buying gold jewelry. But what if your gold jewelry has 750 written on it? Does it make it fake? Absolutely not. The numbers are a representation of the purity levels of the gold. They only show how pure the gold jewelry item you have actually is. If it has 750 written on it then it means that 75% of pure 24 Karat gold was mixed with 25% of other metals that aren’t usually precious like copper or bronze. This means that your item is gold it’s just not completely pure.

Is 18K Worth Any Money?

People invest in gold all the time and it is not always 24 karat gold. It is totally fine to invest in 8 Karat gold jewelry. Every day the gold prices change and it depends on the regional market. So depending on where you are at any given moment you can search the price of gold in that city. Different forms of gold have different prices. 24 Karat gold will be bought and sold at the highest price than 22 Karat gold will be sold at a slightly lower price than 24 karat and then 20 karat and so on.

So if you are out in the market to sell your 18K jewelry item, you will get the price according to the gold price for 18 Karat on that respective day. In some parts of the world finding 24 Karat gold is very rare so people usually deal in lower karat like 18 or 14 Karats. They are not worth as much as the 24 Karat gold but they are still worth a lot.

Eran Hayo is the Chief Editor of Jewels Advisor, with over 5 years of experience in the fields of jewelry and memorabilia. He built Jewels Advisor to serve one main purpose – to teach you everything he knows about jewelry, and help you make better-informed decisions when buying diamonds and engagement rings online. His work has been cited on famous publications such as The Sun, MSN and WikiHow.